National Renewable Energy Practice Leader
Matt Ferguson, an attorney, is a Principal with Reznick Group, P.C. and the leader of the Renewable Energy Group. In that role, Matt promotes renewable energy through business transactions and policy development, Matt advises clients on all energy-related and clean-tech transactions. Matt is also actively involved with current clients in assisting with tax credit financing. He is the architect of the RREX underwriting standard that utilities and financial institutions use to ascertain renewable energy project reliability and risk management. These include coordinating activities and deliverables between renewable energy projects with debt and equity investors, counseling on capital formation, advising on mergers and acquisitions within the renewable energy sector, and maximizing public policy to promote and reward low-carbon power generation or energy use.
Highlight engagements include:
- a public-private venture to develop a $2 billion zero emission integrated gasification combined cycle (IGCC) power plant with carbon sequestration;
- the first prepaid PPA for a 205 MW wind project;
- the valuation of a $20 million biomass - landfill gas portfolio;
- syndication of tax equity investments in wind and solar electricity generating projects;
- economic development for electric vehicle infrastructure;
- the structuring of a 50MW geothermal project under development;
- the incorporation of energy efficient solar installations for municipalities;
- GAAP consulting regarding the relevance of HLBV; and
- financial advisor for largest commercial wind farm in Indian Country
Prior to joining Reznick Group, Matt was with UPS for 15 years, most recently as Director and General Tax Counsel responsible for initiating the company's energy strategy. His accomplishments include executing investment transactions in renewable energy, coordinating energy efficient facility upgrades and green building development, creating energy-related products and mitigating business risk. He closed over $1 billion of alternative investments including interests in affordable housing limited partnerships. In addition, his project finance and transaction experience includes the issuance or redemption of financial instruments such as facility industrial revenue bonds, cross-border aircraft leases, initial public offering advisory, tax planning and business development structuring, merger and acquisition counsel, and real estate investment trust formation.
Matt received his B.S., magna cum laude, in financial management and marketing from Franklin Pierce College and his J.D. degree from Georgia State University School of Law. He is admitted to the District of Columbia, Georgia and New York Bar Associations.
Matt is an adjunct professor of Sustainable Energy Development & Policy at University of Maryland and an ongoing advisor of Columbia Business School Entrepreneurship Center.
He is a member of the Leadership Council of the American Council on Renewable Energy (ACORE).